What is SilverStripe CMS?
SilverStripe is a free and open source Content Management System (CMS). It is a flexible framework for designer, editors and developers to create and maintain websites without pain. This new intuitive content management system provides a web-based administration panel that helps website administrator to make modifications to any part of their website. The modern architecture of SilverStripe includes a WYSIWYG website editor which support to create website, intranet and web applications with stunning design, great content and social functions also.
How to install?
You can manage installation with composer or direct download package from developer website.
Here is the step by step process to install using package zip file obtained from above url.
1) Go to the url https://www.silverstripe.org/download and download latest package.
2) Extract into your website root directory or subdirectory.
3) Open a web-browser and load the url. (e.g. http://mydomain.com or http://mydomain.com/myproject)
Initially you will get errors related to PHP configuration, file permission etc. Don’t worry, we are going to fix it!
4) Step 1 of 5 [Requirements]:
a) Error: date.timezone setting and validity
Solution: Open you php.ini file and locate “;date.timezone=” and uncomment by removing prefix “;”, then specify your timezone like this: date.timezone = America/New_York
Then restart apache server, now is resolved!
Normally php.ini file is located at /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini.
b) Warning: tidy support
Solution: Tidy provides a library of code to clean up your html. As per their documentaion, SilverStripe will operate fine without tidy but HTMLCleaner will not be effective. So you can skip this warning.
c) Error: Is the .htaccess file writeable?
Solution: As per SilverStripe, you need to give full permission (777) to “.htacces” file, that will resolve above issue.
d) Error: Is the mysite/_config.php file writeable?
Solution: As per SilverStripe, you need to give full permission (777) to “mysite/_config.php” file.
e) Error: Is the mysite/_config/config.yml file writeable?
Solution: As per SilverStripe, you need to give full permission (777) to “mysite/_config/config.yml” file.
f) Error: Is the assets/ directory writeable?
Solution: As per SilverStripe, you need to give full permission (777) to “assets” folder.
g) Error: database Error
Solution: Create a database using PhpMyadmin or terminal command and save its details like database-name, database user-name and password.
5) Step 2 of 5 [Database Configuration]:
In this step, you need to specify database server, username, password and database name. You can choose either “MySQL 5.0+ (using MySQLi)” or “MySQL 5.0+ (using PDO)” according to your mysql setup.
6) Step 3 of 5 [CMS Admin Account]:
You need to specify admin account credentials here such as backend login username as emailId, password and default language.
You can change these details later from website backend under “Security” section.
7) Step 4 of 5 [Theme selection]:
You need to specify theme in this section. You can choose ‘Simple’ theme for installation process.
Later you can change the theme or download another from the SilverStripe website after installation. Go to this url to download latest theme http://addons.silverstripe.org/add-ons?type=theme
8) Step 5 of 5 [Confirm Install]:
This is the last step of installation. Confirm all details provided in above steps. everything fine then click on button “Install SilverStripe”.
9) Now installation process completed successfully! Enjoy features of SilverStripe !!!
As per documentation SilverStripe require below server requirements:
- PHP Version 5.3.3+ and < 7
- Memory: 48MB
- Required modules: dom, gd2, fileinfo, hash, iconv, mbstring, mysqli (or other database driver), session, simplexml, tokenizer, xml
- safe_mode = Off
- magic_quotes_gpc = Off
- memory_limit = 48M
One of the following databases:
- MySQL 5.0+
- PostgreSQL 8.3+ (requires “postgresql” module)
- SQL Server 2008+ (requires “mssql” module)
One of the following web server products:
- Apache 2.0+ with mod_rewrite and “AllowOverride All” set
- IIS 7+
- Support for Lighttpd, IIS 6, and other web servers may work if you are familiar with their configuration.
One of the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows XP SP3, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2
- Mac OS X 10.4+
Why doesn’t SilverStripe 3 work with PHP 7?
Unfortunately, SilverStripe has classes named the same as PHP reserved words, such as “Int” and “Float”. So SilverStripe 3 is unable support PHP 7 without breaking backward compatibility. SilverStripe 4 will work with PHP 7 and will be release soon. Until then, its recommend to use PHP 5.6.
We have hands-on experience in creating CMS world using SilverStripe and happy to help for any queries related with SilverStripe. Contact Us here.